Ugh, it’s time to pick our health insurance for next year. Keeping the plan we’ve got means paying $200 a month more. But… would a “cheaper” plan cost us more in the long run? It depends! And COVID makes it a lot more complicated. This stinks.
You can hear my wife and me try to puzzle the whole thing out, and then I debrief with an expert. Who leaves me reminded how lucky we are to have the options we do. HEALTH INSURANCE SUCKS.
But the alternative is so much worse.
If you want to go deeper on health insurance, you might want to check these episodes from our first season:
And here are some other helpful big-picture takes:
Want to go a LOT deeper? Like, you’re actually looking at buying health insurance, maybe on the Obamacare exchange?
- I found healthcare.gov to be SUPER-usable this year, way better than last time I checked.
- I punched in the answers to a few questions, and
- got to quickly tell it which doctors our family sees (and what meds we take)
- … and it provided a clear list that showed which plans cover our docs, how much they would cost us, etc.
- SUBSIDIES ARE AVAILABLE FOR OBAMACARE PLANS. Our pals at the Kaiser Family Foundation—who run Kaiser Health News, our production partners— have this explanation of how they work. (It’s a slog, but thorough. Print it out, open a beer, and settle in.)
- Those same pals at KFF have a whole database of frequently-asked questions about Obamacare. Hundreds of Qs and As, including 180+ in Spanish.
- Also great, also very thorough: The Georgetown University Center on Health Insurance Reform has a whole site full of resources for navigating Obamacare. (It’s actually for “navigators”—folks who help civilians like us understand the sign-up process.)
That’s a lot, right? Ugh, this stuff is so overwhelming. But don’t let it get you down.
Support us: During November and December 2020, your donation counts for DOUBLE, thanks to a campaign called NewsMatch. So cool. You can make a one-time donation OR make an ongoing monthly pledge. Here’s the link: https://armandalegshow.com/support/
Send your stories and questions: https://armandalegshow.com/contact/ or call 724 ARM-N-LEG